Monday, October 6, 2014

HHN House Count After Week 3

Its only October 5th and I had to wear a heavy sweatshirt to HHN tonight! I loved it! we are now 10 nights into HHN 2014 with 18 to go and I have a major update in my rankings.

As much as I adore Halloween I have thought hard and after many run throughs have made the decision that Dollhouse of the Damned is now my undisputed favorite house this year, but it may be even more than that. I never in my  life thought that I would even think about replacing my number one favorite house of all time, Catacombs in 2010. That was the second HHN house I ever went through, and was the house that I solely tribute to getting me hooked on HHN. But I love DOTD so much that I think it may just be my favorite house ever. Not one single scene in this house falls flat, every single scene is an A+. The ballerina, the crib room, the ventriloquist scene, bodies in the wall, its all perfection. For now I have it at number two, but by the end of this year I will make the determination on whether or not catacombs will actually be dethroned.

When I made my initial ranking I said this years house lineup doesnt have the top end quality that last years lineup did, but had better depth. By that I meant this years top 3 wasnt as good as last years top 3. I now retract that statement. My top 3 of Dollhouse, Halloween, and Giggles and Gore is just as good as last years top 3, just in different ways. While last years top 3 earned their high ranking with jaw dropping sets and props and mind blowing special effects, the top three this year earn the high ranking by just being plain creepy and scary, at times downright terrifying. Its more of an old school year, as the top 3 this year wont blow you away with effects, but will certainly make you squirm with their scare tactics and gore. The closet scene in Halloween may be the single most terrifying scene Ive ever encountered in 5 years at HHN. every time I go through it I get nervous. The claustrophobic nature of it, the flickering lights, the lightbulb above ferociously shaking back and forth, and then "BOOM!" theres Michael Myers slamming the door with a very very loud thud with his face in your face, butcher knife in hand. An incredible scene.

Even though I have been posting my house counts here for the past few years I dont feel like Ive fully explained my rationale behind it.
http://www.horrornightnightmares.com/forums/index.php/topic/4193-hhn-24-house-and-show-counts/
That is a link to a thread where all fans of HHN can post and update their house counts for the year. For me a lot of the lure of HHN is that I consider it a game or a challenge of "how high can I get my house count?" Unfortunately Ive never even come close to topping the supreme HHN fans, who routinely top 200 per year, but its still fun for me to see how high i can get. So now here finally is my updated house count after week 3.

Roanoke: 6
Dollhouse of the Damned: 10
Halloween: 7
Giggles and Gore: 12
Dracula Untold: 9
Alien Vs Predator: 6
Walking Dead: 5
From Dusk Till Dawn: 5

Bill and Ted: 7

Total Houses: 60

No comments:

Post a Comment