Thursday, December 28, 2017

Ranking every movie I saw in Theaters in 2017

A new obsession and hobby began for me in 2017, going to the movie theater. Truthfully, over the past five years or so seeing movies in theaters was incredibly rare for me. In fact between October 2015 and June 2017 I did not see a single movie in theaters. Even before that I averaged maybe 2 or 3 a year since I got out of high school.

Honesty time: I struggle with anxiety. Sometimes I can keep it supressed, but its always a threat to surface, and sometimes it can be unbearable. It is this anxiety that kept me away from theaters for so long. The thought of "disconnecting" for 2+ hours from the outside world is something I could rarely bring myself to do. I dont have the attention span to just sit and stare at a movie for that long. I needed to be doing something while I'm watching a movie, so I preferred to watch at home. At home I can browse the web, write things down, get chores done while watching a movie. At the theatre, you sit and watch and thats it, something I had a hard time getting myself to do. So I avoided going to the movies unless there was one I REALLY wanted to see. But then with a full summer off and a few boring afternoons to kill I decided to try to start going to the movies again, and I realized something: seeing a movie in the movie theatre was the  ultimate relaxation for me. My brain is always moving at full speed and I can hardly ever truly relax, even when Im at home watching TV my brain is racing thinking about something. But at the movie theatre, that is one place where I truly feel relaxed and disconnected from the world. So I kept going back to more and more movies. Just sitting and getting lost in the movie and soaking it in, there was nothing more relaxing. All in all I ended up seeing 26 different movies in the theater this year, and will probably see much more than that in 2018 with a five month head start over 2017. Here is my attempt at ranking every movie I saw in the theater in 2017. When looking at this list, it was a great war for movies. I adore the top 12 movies on this list, and even 13-18 are movies I got a lot of enjoyment out of. Only 19-27 are movies I would rank a C or lower on an A-F scale and only 24-27 I would rank a D or lower.


27. Wish Upon
26. Flatliners
25. Daddy's Home 2
24. Jigsaw
23. 47 Meters Down
22. Girls Trip
21. Cars 3
20. The Mummy
19. Murder on the Orient Express
18 Pirates of the Caribbean 5
17. Despicable Me 3
16. Justice League
15. The Dark Tower
14 War for the Planet of the Apes
13. Wonder Woman
12. Baby Driver
11. Disaster Artist
10. Coco
9. Dunkirk
8.Star Wars: The Last Jedi
7. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Kong: Skull Island
5. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
4. Kingsman 2
3. Spiderman: Homecoming
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
1. IT

No comments:

Post a Comment